Redmond UFO incident

Date: September 24, 1959
Location: Redmond, Oregon, USA
Appearance: Glowing oval with flames
Sources: NICAP; FAA
Summary: Policeman observed a large UFO, seen also by FAA personal, tracked on radar, and chased by USAF jet fighters.

On September 24, 1959, just before dawn, police officer Robert Dickerson was cruising the city streets in his patrol car when he noticed a bright falling object like a meteor. But instead of "burning out," the object took on a larger, ball-like appearance, stopped abruptly, and hovered about 200 feet above the ground. Its glow lit up trees below it.

The patrolman watched the UFO for several minutes, then drove toward it. The UFO changed color from bright white to a duller reddish-orange color, and dived rapidly to a new position NE of the airport.

The object flew over Redmond Airport, situated southeast of the city of Portland and hovered over the field, where it was observed for several minutes by FAA officials.

At the FAA office at Roberts field, patrolman Dickerson, FAA employee Laverne Wertz, and others studied the hovering object through binoculars. The UFO was round and flat, with tongues of "flames" periodically extending from the rim.

The UFO was also detected by the radar at Klamath Falls ground-control interception station. F-102 fighters were scrambled from Portland. As they took off, the Air Force radioed the pilots of a B-47 bomber and a F-89 fighter on routine flights nearby, ordering them to join the chase. As the airplanes approached, the UFO took the shape of mushroom, and a long yellow and red flame was observed from the lower side. Then the UFO rose rapidly and disappeared above the clouds.

One AF pilot, guided by gunsight radar, climbed after the unseen craft. His approach apparently was registered aboard the disc, for it instantly changed course, tracked by height-finder radar at Klamath Falls. Radar continued to show the UFO south of Redmond for about two hours, at various altitudes from 5000 feet to 52000 feet.