Belgian wave

Date: 1989 - 1991
Location: Belgium
Appearance: Dark triangle, white lights at corners, pulsating red light at center;
size: 30 m
Classification: CE 1
Sources: Belgian newspapers, radio and TV; Belgian Air Force; Col. De Brouwer; SOBEPS; Prof. A. Meessen
Summary: Wave of triangular UFOs over Belgium. From '89 to '91, more than 2000 witness interviews were recorded.

The first day

On the first day, there were more than 70 sightings of a large triangular UFO, involving twice as many witnesses.

November 29th, 1989 was a beautiful sunny day. The sun went under at around 4:45 pm, after which the stars became visible. There was no moon. At 5:20 pm, two gendarmes (state police officers), Nicoll and von Montigny, are on patrol in the vicinity of the city of Eupen. They see an object hovering at about 120 meters above the ground, a large platform with 3 enormous circular lights at the corners. They have lowered their window at the side of the object, but are amazed at the absence of any sound.

Nicoll and von Montigny

They notice the triangular shape of the craft, about 30 to 35 meters at the base, 25 meters long, and about 2 meters high. The 3 white lights have a diameter of over one meter, and in the middle of the triangle is a pulsating red light. The UFO starts to move towards Eynatten, so they drive in that direction, overtaking it and waiting for it at the next crossroads. The gendarmes estimate the object's speed at around 50 kilometers per hour.

In the mean time they report the sighting to their headquarters in Eupen. They suggest to the guard on duty, Albert Kreutz, that he inquires about possible military planes at the nearby military bases (at that time, the "Gendarmerie" was part of the Armed Forces). Later, he informs the two gendarmes that the military airports of Bierset and Elsenborn say no military activities of any kind are taking place in the area.

The craft suddenly halts and moves off in the opposite direction, back towards Eupen. The two men follow the craft which is still moving slowly.

The craft is now also observed by various other witnesses, both civilian and police officers. One of them, gendarme Dieter Plummans, observed the craft at a distance of 100 meters and an estimated height of 80 meters. Plummans explains: "We had heard the colleagues talking about this flying object. At the beginning we thought it was some sort of joke. But then, we saw something and it wasn't so funny anymore."

Some witnesses remark on the altitude of the craft, very low above the rooftops. The sound the craft makes is described by some as "the hum of an electrical motor".

After crossing the town, the craft flies over the artificial lake Gileppe and remains hovering there for about 45 minutes, at a distance of about 4 kilometers from the gendarmes. At intervals, they notice the emission of two thin horizontal red beams.

At 6:45 pm, while the craft is still hovering above the lake, a second triangular craft appears very fast from over the woods, up and away, turning left and right, towards the highway E 40 Ostend-Brussels-Liege-Aachen. This second craft is similar to the first, but its movements allow the gendarmes to observe the top of the craft as well, and they notice rectangular port-holes that are lit, as well as a spherical dome on top.

Two other police officers encountered a similar UFO eight miles to the north in the small village of "La Calamine". They saw the UFO floating over a building. Then another object was leaving the main object. It was a red light, pulsating and descending vertically from the object. It moved around the building.

Back at headquarters, from his office on the first floor, their colleague Albert Kreutz has been keeping an eye on a "ball of light" he sees hovering in the area. The ball of light is stationary for 45 minutes, then, at 6:45 pm he notices this ball of light shooting up into the sky. Probably it was the second craft, which the two gendarmes saw coming up from over the trees.

Back at the lake, at 7:23 pm the red beams disappear, and the craft moves away in the direction of the city of Spa.

The story continues

Colonel Wilfried De Brouwer was tasked to handle the UFO wave by his country's defense minister. He was Wing Commander of the Belgian Air Force Transport Wing and, in 1989, chief of the Operations Division in the Air Staff. A man of great integrity and responsibility, De Brouwer was determined to do everything he could to find out what was invading Belgian airspace and repeatedly committing infractions of basic aviation rules.

On December 5, 1989, unknown objects were registered for over an hour by the Belgian radar installations of Bertem, Glons and Bierset, as well as Maastricht in the Netherlands and Dusseldorf in Germany.

On December 11th 1989, there were 21 visual sightings over 5 different provinces: the first one was over Esneux (province of Liege), the last one above Gileppe (province of Liege). Other sightings were reported over La Louviere (province Hainaut), Malonne and Spy (both Namur), Bastogne (Luxembourg), Pietrain (Brabant).

On december 11, air force officer Lieutenant-Colonel Andre Amond and his wife were in their car driving from Ernage to Gembloux. They observed a UFO for some 8 to 10 minutes at a distance of about 200 to 300 meters. The red light at the center of the bottom detached itself and came closer to the car before going back to the main object. The description of the UFO in his report to his superiors corresponds with the of the ones seen by the gendarmes on November 29.

Amond was an expert witness who did not restrain himself, despite the risks. He was the director of military infrastructure for the Belgian Army and also in charge of army environmental-impact issues at the Joint Staff level, cooperating closely with American officials. Amond and his wife had an extensive look at one of these low-flying machines. He had absolutely no doubt about the exceptional nature of what he saw. He went all the way to the top, filing a written report and providing a series of drawings for the Belgian Defense Minister.

On March 30, 1990, a national police officer saw a giant triangle passing over. Simultaneously, two ground radar stations were reporting an object of unknown origin. After contacting other radar facilities, they learned that at least four other stations were also reporting the object.
Two F-16s were ordered to intercept and identify the phenomenon, and one of the jet's radars locked onto the object. The pilot reported that after a few seconds, the object began to pick up speed, quickly moving out of radar range. An hour long chase ensued, during which time the F-16s picked up the craft's signal several times. Finally, the object was lost in the sky over Brussels.

Official report by Air Force
Major Lambrechts
read here

On the night of March 31, 1990, at a location 30 km southeast of Brussels, three reliable witnesses had a sighting. They were Lucien Clerebaut (Secretary General of SOBEPS Société Belge d'Etude des Phénomènes Spatiaux), Patrick Ferryn (film producer and founding member of SOBEPS), and Jose Fernandez (SOBEPS investigator). They observed a bright light low on the horizon. The light got bigger and closer, and was seen to be an object of triangular form with rounded angles. It was carrying four spotlights and the periphery of the object had numerous smaller lights around it. As it passed over their heads at an altitude of 300 to 400 meters, the object had a diameter of six times that of a full moon.

Reports by year:

Year Reports
1989 454
1990 447
1991 224
1992 94
1993 63
Total: 1282

Properties of the observed craft:

  • The craft had a triangular shape.
  • Equipped with 3 large white spotlights, with a diameter of more than a meter, capable of intensively illuminating the ground from an altitude of over 100 meters.
  • The craft carried a red light which seemed to pulsate, at the bottom of their underside and apparently unattached to the structure.
  • Performed in ways not possible by known technology. They were able to remain stationary and hover, even in unusual positions such as vertical and/or banking at 45 degrees or more. They could fly at slow speeds and accelerate extremely fast, and they remained silent, or made only a very slight noise.
  • On several occasions, the craft made a tilting maneuver allowing observers to see its upper side, revealing a dome at the top. Some reported windows or lights on the side of the craft; others saw lit windows in the dome.
  • Some observers took what they thought would be clear photographs, but when the film was developed, the image was blurred. The belgian physics professor Auguste Meessen supposed that infrared light must be the reason that the images were unclear. To put his theory to test, he exposed film to infrared and the results were the same as the photographs of the triangle-shaped UFO.
  • No electromagnetic effects, such as radio interference, were experienced.
  • Not one aggressive or hostile act was noted.
  • The flying objects didn't try to hide and, in several cases, moved toward the observers on the ground. Some witnesses reported that craft responded to their signals, such as switching one of its lights off and on when they flashed the headlights of their car.
  • The case is also important for its unique information sharing. Civilian and military officials were forthcoming with their reports.